Teaching Online Contents
Newcastle University in the United Kingdom
ABOUT NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY
Newcastle University, UK, is a thriving international community of some 27,750 students from over 130 countries worldwide.
As a member of the Russell Group of research intensive universities in the UK we have a world-class reputation for research excellence in the fields of medicine, science and engineering, social sciences and the humanities.
Our academics are sharply focused on responding to the major challenges facing society today. Our research and teaching are world-leading in areas as diverse as health, culture, technology and the environment.
The Research Excellence Framework 2014 (REF) placed Newcastle University 16th in the UK for Research Power and the vast majority of our research (78%) was assessed to be world-leading or internationally excellent.
We are committed to providing our students with excellent, research-led teaching delivered by dedicated and passionate teachers. This is reaffirmed by achieving the best possible outcome – a Gold Award – in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). Based on the evidence available, this means that the TEF Panel judged that Newcastle University delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students of the highest quality found in the UK.
We also ranked:
- 1st in the UK for Computing Science research impact, 3rd in the UK for Civil Engineering research power and 11th in the UK for Mathematical Sciences research.
- 3rd in the UK for English, and in the top 12 for Geography, Architecture and Planning, and Cultural and Media Studies research quality
- 4th amongst UK medical schools for Clinical Medicine research intensity
We have extended our reach beyond the UK by opening two branch campuses. In 2008, in partnership with the Singapore Institute for Technology, we opened our campus in Singapore and now offer six degree programmes supporting more than 700 students. With the opening of Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia (NUMed) in 2011, we became the only UK university to establish a fully-owned medical campus overseas. NUMed delivers degrees in medicine and biomedical sciences to more than 500 students.
Opened in September 2015, Newcastle University London provides full and part-time undergraduate and postgraduate study programmes for students from all over the world, with an initial focus on Business programmes.
Newcastle is among the top 20 universities in the country for our employment rate with 95% of our graduates going on to employment or further study, more than three quarters in graduate-level jobs. We are also one of the top 20 universities targeted by graduate employers in the UK. The 2017 National Student Survey found that 88% of our students were happy with their time at Newcastle and our international students put Newcastle University in the world’s top 12 (ISB 2015) of global universities.
Overview of the institution
Known as one of UK’s top civic university, Newcastle University is popular for its diverse cosmopolitan student population. It’s a university that embraces diversity and is committed to excellence. One of Newcastle University’ core values is giving back to the society. They lay a huge amount of focus on trying to address societal and economic challenges. Their vision is not only to be a top-notch research and education institute but also one that focuses on the impact of the education imparted. Newcastle University was also the first university in England to establish and own an international campus solely for Medicine in 2011. Newcastle University was also one of the founding members of the Russell Group.
Location and facilities
The university is located in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in the North East of England. It is an industrial hub and is easily connected to several cities of Europe.
The university spend on student facilities is over 10 million pounds per year. A lot of provisions are made to have state of the art research and commercial facilities. The different schools have been given the tools required for them to carry out their world class research.
In today’s hi-tech world computer facilities are essential and they are provided at Newcastle University as well. It supports a round the clock Service Desk that is available to every student.
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Medical Sciences [Newcastle Biomedicine]
- Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering
- Agriculture, Food and Rural Development
- Architecture, Planning and Landscape
- Arts and Cultures
- Biomedical Sciences
- Business School
- Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials
- Civil Engineering and Geosciences
- Combined Honours Centre
- Computing Science
- Dental Sciences
- Education, Communication and Language Sciences
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- English Literature, Language and Linguistics
- Geography, Politics and Sociology
- History, Classics and Archaeology
- Law School
- Marine Science and Technology
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Mechanical and Systems Engineering
- Medical Education
- Modern Languages
Most institutions have certain core competencies that form the foundation for their research, education delivery and reputation. Hence, in order to enhance their ideologies and knowledge systems, universities introduce programmes and study abroad scholarships that are unique to their identity. These study international scholarships opportunities are highly competitive and are awarded on the basis of various factors including academic, personal achievements, extra-curricular activities, overall profiles, etc. They often award a reduction of tuition fees. Based on your merit, The Chopras Overseas Consultants match you to the right university. With extensive partnerships with colleges worldwide, we have all necessary resources to match talent with study overseas scholarships.
- The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014: 18th out of 121
- The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014: 3rd in the North East and Yorkshire.
- The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014: Top 15 for graduate career prospects
- The Guardian University Guide 2015: Top 15 for graduate career prospects
- The Complete University Guide 2015: Top 15 for graduate career prospects
- UK’s top 12 for Research Power in Science and Engineering
- 8th for Medical Research Power
Careers: Unique student support
Newcastle’s Career Service has won 7 national awards in 7 years. They assist students with CV checks, business start up supports, vacancies online, working in home countries and workshops. The employability rate of their international students is 85%.
Newcastle also has a work experience programme that is open to all students. This programme complimentsthe education programmes and helps students put the theory they have learnt into practice. These students receive a training bursary of 600 pounds if done a term time placement. They have to follow a proper interview process to get placed.
Along with organising a career fair every term, the careers service also has a Career Development Module. This is a 20-credit module that can be done during the academic year. The placement is for a minimum of 70-hours and this helps to build the students’ knowledge and skills at the workplace.