Teaching Online Contents
“How to teach spelling”
To know English language, it is very essential to learn the spellings of words. To write correct words solely depends upon the knowledge of spellings.
Difficulties of spelling are English language-It is universally admitted that English spellings are full of difficulties.
Max Muller Writes-English spelling is a national misfortune to English, an international misfortune to the rest of the world, yet it cannot be denied that the spelling ability is an important acquisition. The reason is that it is anomalous and inconsistent. Moreover, it does not correspond to the pronunciation, for example, see-sea, die-dye are differently slept although, their pronunciations vary much the same. The unreasonable and unsystematic nature of English spellings makes the students confront very serious difficulties.
Aims of teaching spelling
(1) To teach correct spellings.
(2) To make the student spell automatically.
(3) To enable students to spell words they use and words they come across in their day-to-day life.
(4) To develop a consciousness in pupils.
(5) To develop an awareness of the need of correct spellings in them.
Causes of poor spellings
(1) The peculiarities of English spellings in mainly responsible for bad spelling.
(2) Some new methods like word method, sentence method, and story method do not emphasize upon spellings.
(3) The written work of students in rarely thoroughly corrected.
(4) Lack of motor balance in students can also cause poor spellings.
(5) Very less time is devoted to reading.
(6) Students possess less ability of retention.
(7) In our school, over-emphasis is given to oral work. This hinders good spelling.
(8) Generally teachers use drill method for teaching spellings. This method is not much effective.
(9) Most of the teachers are indifferent to pupils’ spelling. The main aim is to finish the course in time and make the pupils cram up important things for the examination. They do not lay stress on dictation, transcription and written composition which go a long way in improving spelling.
Suggestions for improving spellings
(1) Extensive reading can help in improving spellings.
(2) Wrong pronunciation leads to wrong spellings. It is a thing of common experiences that pupils who mispronounce make several mistakes in spelling. Hence, it is necessary that the habit of correct pronunciation should be formed.
(3) Different methods of teaching spellings should be employed.
(4) Children should be encouraged to keep small note-books with them; they should write the correct spellings of words in which they make mistakes.
(5) Spellings should be graded. According to the needs and interests of the pupils.
(6) Spellings should be grotJped on the basis of meaning and pronunciation.
(7) The teacher should make a list of words which most of the students misspell and also discuss the reasons for the same.
(8) The teacher should pay attention to each student individually.
(9) Students should be encouraged to use spelling exercise books.
(10) Use of different types of audio-visual aids can help of lot. ,
(11) Spelling games are very useful in teaching spellings to junior classes. These games stimulate pupils to healthy competition, provide recreation and help in learning spelling.